The city of Cognac is located on the banks of the Charente River, downstream from Angoulême and upstream from Saintes. Its agglomeration overflows on two departments, the Charente and the Charente Maritime.
The territory of the town is inhabited since the Palaeolithic. The origin of the name goes back to a Gallo-Roman character Connius, derived from Connus, Gallic name, which is affixed the suffix-acum, which would correspond to the domain of Connius. The future king of France François 1er was born in Cognac in 1494. The sovereign will grant the city the privilege of the salt trade by the river, ensuring Cognac a first development. The wine in the region is produced in the third century by the Gallo-Roman winemakers. In the 15th century, it is appreciated well beyond the limits of the region. But little alcoholic, it resituates badly to travel, often stings and it also undergoes competition from Bordeaux wines. The decision is made to distil these poor wines and transport them by the river to northern Europe.
The Dutch install the first stills in Charentais because they love this fiery water, this “burnt wine”, brandewijn, brandevin, brandy. The economic and commercial hazards make that sometimes these eaux de vie stay in the barrels for a long time while waiting for hypothetical buyers. We then realize that the alcohols have taken colour and have improved in the barrels. After the phylloxera crisis the region is recovering, the small family houses grow and are finally absorbed in the twentieth century by groups specializing in luxury.
It is the largest wine area in France and the most important production too. The most amazing thing about this vineyard is that there are 6 different wines in the appellation.